If you follow me on Instagram, you will know that I'm really into making green smoothies for breakfast. I like to post pictures of the different smoothie combinations I make. Smoothies are a quick breakfast and are perfect for taking with you on your way to work. My basic smoothie always contains a banana, one or two other fruits, kale and almond milk or water. Lately I've been adding celery and/or parsley for more nutrients. If the fruits are not sweet enough, I like adding a pitted medjool date for sweetness.
A high-speed blender is important in breaking down the kale stems and achieving a super smooth smoothie. If you don't have a high-speed blender you can still make smoothies but I would suggest blending the greens with the liquid first.
Below is my basic smoothie recipe:
Yield 40 oz or 2 servings
- 2 cups filtered water or almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of one or two different types of fruit (for example mango & pineapple, blueberries & mango, blueberries & strawberries, apple & pear....possibilities are endless!) In the photo I used just mango. Frozen fruits are okay too.
- 5 kale stalks (or 2 cups spinach)
- Few ice cubes if not using frozen fruit
- 1/2 celery (optional)
- handful parsley (optional)
- chia seeds
- hemp seeds