Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My Daily Breakfast - Green Smoothies


If you follow me on Instagram, you will know that I'm really into making green smoothies for breakfast.  I like to post pictures of the different smoothie combinations I make.  Smoothies are a quick breakfast and are perfect for taking with you on your way to work.  My basic smoothie always contains a banana, one or two other fruits, kale and almond milk or water.  Lately I've been adding celery and/or parsley for more nutrients.  If the fruits are not sweet enough, I like adding a pitted medjool date for sweetness.

A high-speed blender is important in breaking down the kale stems and achieving a super smooth smoothie.  If you don't have a high-speed blender you can still make smoothies but I would suggest blending the greens with the liquid first.

Below is my basic smoothie recipe:
Yield 40 oz or 2 servings
  • 2 cups filtered water or almond milk
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup of one or two different types of fruit (for example mango & pineapple, blueberries & mango, blueberries & strawberries, apple & pear....possibilities are endless!)  In the photo I used just mango.  Frozen fruits are okay too.
  • 5 kale stalks (or 2 cups spinach)
  • Few ice cubes if not using frozen fruit
  • 1/2 celery (optional)
  • handful parsley  (optional)
  • chia seeds 
  • hemp seeds
If using high-speed blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.  If not using high-speed blender, blend greens with liquid first then add rest of ingredients and blend until smooth.  Top with chia seeds and hemp seeds.  Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. That's amazing you could easily harvest your greens from your backyard to your smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RG! Luckily Rich is my personal gardener. Hehe

      Delete